Sunday, August 20, 2017

A Journey of 3,900 Miles Begins with a Single Down Coat

     At Global Mission Fellows training a few weeks ago, I remember we were talking about what to do when we arrived at our placement sites and someone said "Tell everyone you got there safely so they know you're still alive". We all laughed at the joke, but I think we understood there was a lot of truth to it.
     When I told people I was moving to Alaska, there was definitely a standard reaction of shock that I came to expect. I know it's partially because Alaska is so far from Virginia, but I also blame it on the amount of popular reality shows that take place here. So, I would like to take this opportunity to assure everyone one time and one time only that I am not an ice road trucker or a "bush person". I am a missionary, and I am safely in my apartment with a comfortable bed, food to eat, and a great roommate. Over the past few months, I had discussions with people who live here and they told me what I would need for the climate. I made sure to get those items I would need.
     When I was going through a time in my life when I was having a lot of tough feelings that I decided to talk to a professional about, I remember at one point saying something about how there have been some brief times in my life where I have been in scary medical situations where I was "not okay", and I think it might have been a part of why I sometimes feel the need to constantly reassure anyone who has the slightest worry about me that I am okay.
     Psychological self-analysis aside, I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the prayers, support, and even the concern. I know it comes from a place of love, and deep down I really do appreciate it. I can't wait to discover the adventures that Nome has for me, and to share them with all of you.

https://www.umcmission.org/explore-our-work/missionaries-in-service/missionary-profiles/diggs-jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment