Tuesday, January 20, 2015

College is Hard and the Microwave is Broken

     Monday
While  I was attempting to come up with an inspiring topic to write about tonight, my roommate returned from being gone for the weekend and we had quite a nice catching up conversation complete with her kindly letting me borrow a textbook until the one that I ordered arrives. It was quite a nice moment, the kind might happen in a movie about college life.
     Five minutes later, we were standing in the kitchen trying to figure out why the microwave, which worked perfectly fine before Christmas break, will no longer turn on. When our grand plan of unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't work (shocking really) , we decided that it's to late to do anything about it right now, and that we will revisit the problem tomorrow.
     This sudden change of events, while maybe not the most exciting thing to read about, reminded me about how unexpectedly challenging college life, and really life in general, can be. One minute everything is a fun adventure, and the next minute nothing is working right and you have to get serious and figure things out.
     Sometimes I find myself wondering if college is supposed to be this hard, or if maybe I'm just working with a slow brain. I know plenty of people who are college graduates and seem to have made it through without permanent damage, so is it just me that's confused most of the time?  I mean, I've been to church my whole life, so shouldn't I already understand the Social History of Christianity? Apparently not.

Tuesday
Instead of scrapping the unfinished blog I wrote last night, I decided to just add on to it in an attempt to be inspiring. It is Tuesday now, and the microwave is still broken, but it turns out it's really not that big of an inconvenience yet and will hopefully be fixed soon. Also, that class I was complaining about wasn't to bad today, I might know more than I realized. I think I will always struggle with feeling like I'm not quite smart
enough, that is something I need to work on. But today I did what I needed to do without giving up, and along the way I even learned the definition of primogeniture, which is such a fun word to say. The only thing that's really different today than yesterday is my attitude, but the difference is profound. Life can be hard sometimes, but maybe instead of waiting for the day when it will be easier, maybe it's time to start enjoying life in spite of the difficult moments. I don't believe that we can't stop all of our negative emotions simply by thinking positively, but it does help. Hard days will happen, but so will easy ones.  It's really all about attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment