Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Enlarged Ventricles and a Cancelled Mission Trip

     Remember how I said I was going to try to blog from Honduras and write all about what I was doing there? Well, that isn't exactly going to happen because I didn't go. This isn't the story I was planning to tell this week, but I guess life is unpredictable like that.
     On Monday, I had what I thought would be a regular doctor's appointment. I have this thing called a shunt that was put in when I was about 5 months old, and about once a year I get an x-ray just to make sure it's in good shape and working properly. Not to get all heavy with medical terminology, but since we're on the subject, what it is (the best way I can explain) is a tube that drains stuff called cerebrospinal fluid from the ventricles in my brain and empties it into my abdominal region. An x-ray and then a CT scan on Monday showed that my shunt was broken and my ventricles had become enlarged. Eventually, it probably would have caused me to get bad headaches, but at the time I wasn't having any symptoms yet. I am told that shunt revisions are quite common, and that the fact that mine didn't need to be worked on for 19 years is really good.
     Anyway, weird medical facts aside, this meant that I could not go to Honduras. Honestly, I think that upset me more than knowing I had to have surgery. If you have ever read my blog before or talked to me for any length of time, you can probably tell that I was really excited about this trip. It was something I had been looking forward to and preparing for since last year. I really thought it was what God was planning for me to do, but now I think maybe I confused my own plans with His. Not being able to go is just a really hard thing to process and I really thought I was trying to do something good. At this point, I can't really say that I have learned anything from this experience, partly because I am still going through it. I guess things like this can take a while to make sense. But I am glad that this problem was found before I left the country, and I hope that I will get another chance to go back to Honduras in the future. 
These fish were hanging from the ceiling in the hospital
 and I thought they would make a blog worthy picture

No comments:

Post a Comment