Sunday, July 6, 2014

It's Time For Us To Do Something

     Well, It's almost here. Early Tuesday morning I will leave for my second mission trip to Honduras. Isn't that crazy? A while ago I would have never guessed that my life would include an experience this amazing, and especially not two of these experiences.
      This is the part where all of the unimportant worries start to fade and the fact that this is actually happening starts to feel like reality. If last year is any indication, I know that this is going to be awesome, and I think I'm ready now. It will be a little different because I will be with different people. I will miss those members of last years team who are not going, but I will remember the good examples that they set for me and look forward to sharing my new stories with them and others when I return. I also look forward to making new friends and new memories this year.
     I am so excited to be going back to Honduras. It's such an amazing experience that I always fall short of describing accurately. I know that I always talk about what I think and how I feel, but I learned last year that this mission trip is not about me. It's about the children who just want to be loved and how we can show them love in the short time we are there. It's about the lessons that are learned along the way, even the hard ones. And most of all, it's about doing what God has called us to do, even if we don't fully understand all of the details. I hope that I will be able to do some blogging while we are there, but I know that you can never really be sure of things like reliable Wi-fi on trips like this. So if I don't say anything else before I get back, please pray for the team, that we will be safe and stay healthy, and fulfill God's plans for us during our trip.
     And now comes the part that is going to look tacky and random and get me teased,and that I almost didn't write. Throughout all of the preparations for this trip, there has been one thought that I never could really completely process until now, or maybe didn't want too, and that is the fact that the best mission trip roommate ever will not be with me this time. Last year before the trip, Chandler was just my youth leader who I thought was pretty cool. On the trip, I got closer to her and learned so much from her while having so much fun. I remember one moment so vividly where I was looking at a little boy who was sitting by himself and thinking how sad it was that he couldn't walk. About five minutes later, there she comes, holding his hands and walking with him. Something about that experience was so profound to me and I remember it often. Chandler, I will miss your jokes, excitement, and melatonin fueled lunchtime naps. Most of all I will miss the great conversations that we have, but I know we will have plenty more of them when I get back. Thank You for always being someone I can count on, and get ready to see tons of pictures when I get back!
     Now that I've gotten all emotional and said things that I wanted to say but will probably be embarrassed about saying, I think I've said it all. This is really happening, and I couldn't be happier that it is. Thank You to everyone who has supported me on this journey. It means the world to me and I am so excited that this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment