Friday, April 11, 2014

233 Days

 300 days ago, I walked across a stage and someone handed me a piece of paper signifying that I had survived the awkward drudgery of high school.
284 days ago I turned 18 and people told me that I am now and adult and joked that I am now legally responsible for my actions.
233 days ago my family helped me move into my dorm and said goodbye, and I started on this strange and awesome journey of independence.
  For 233 days, I have experienced the beginning stages of what it's like to be an adult. I have gotten a glimpse into what it's like to be responsible for yourself. I have been in charge of my own schedule and had to figure out how to solve my own problems. I have experienced tornado warnings, broken appliances, and early morning fire drills. I have made new friends and come to the realization that I don't need to worry so much about losing the old ones.
   For 233 days, not counting when I have been home for breaks, I have not had face to face conversations with my family and friends at home. I have not been there when my mom gets home to ask her how her day was. I have not taken my dog for his evening walk. I have not been there to visit with my grandmother when she is sick and hear her say in her joking way that she's just getting old. I have not sat down for dinner and heard my dad tell me I look nice today, even when I really don't. I have not walked into the bathroom to find my brothers dirty work clothes on the floor, or seen his goofy antics that always kept me laughing.
   But what I have learned is that I have been getting prepared for those 233 days for 18 years. I have been taught what I needed to know and raised in a way that prepared me for the world. I know now that it is okay that my childhood is a thing of the past. No matter how old I am, my family will always be my family. I have learned that I really like college, and that overall I am happy here. Some days I miss the way it used to be, but then I remember that my family and my true friends will be there for me no matter what. I realize how much I like the direction I am headed in, and I smile and move forward on this journey of life.

*At the top is the slideshow my mom made for my graduation party. I have been wanting to use it, and this seemed like a fitting time.


No comments:

Post a Comment