Tuesday, March 4, 2014

That's What (Really) Makes You Beautiful

     Today is pretty much the fourth day of my weekend because of snow days, and the cabin fever is starting to set in. On a positive note, I have had lots of extra time to think of more topics to blog about. I must admit I feel silly constantly posting my novice opinions and thoughts as if I know what I'm talking about, but I appreciate all of you who take the time to read them. I am really enjoying blogging.
     Today's topic came simply from glancing at myself in a mirror. Now I know that sounds terribly vain, but hear me out. You see when I was in high school, although I didn't realize it at the time, I was obsessed with being pretty. I constantly scrutinized myself, trying to figure out why my friends selfies got more likes than mine, and why no one ever seemed to call me beautiful or pretty. When someone would happen to comment on my appearance, they would usually call me cute, which I felt was better when discussing babies or puppies than a young woman. I did not feel pretty, and I spent way to much time acknowledging that fact.
     When I looked in the mirror the other day, I realized I haven't thought about whether or not I'm pretty in a long time, and I think I know why. Part of it is because I'm just to busy. Now that I have added responsibilities like making my own meals and doing my own grocery shopping, not to mention studying and doing homework for five college classes, there is less time to devote to trying to look good.
      I guess the other reason is I'm just starting to grow out of the constant desire to look pretty. Sure, I like to put together cute outfits on those rare occasions when I am not to tired from a late night of studying or socializing to think coherently in the morning, but it no longer consumes a large part of my thinking throughout the day. Plus, I had the experience of meeting those wonderful girls in Honduras who were beautiful for so much more than their appearance and taught me to love myself for more than my looks. (See, I really can work a Honduras story into any topic!) I understand now that there really are more important things than being pretty, and although I still have my moments, I have come a long way in accepting who I am.
     I have always loved this verse that I posted ( 1 Peter 3:3-4), but now I am starting to be able to really believe it and apply it to myself, and that is a beautiful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment