Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday Volume 2 :Honduras Memories Continued

 There are some moments that can change your life instantly. Some of them are bad moments, but others are really good. Since I'm young, I haven't had a lot of moments, but the first time we went to the orphanage in Honduras was definitely one of them that I will remember for a long time.
    It's hard for me to describe how awesome that moment was, and I feel like I'm failing every time I do. But the best way I can is this; Imagine walking into a place you've never gone, filled with people you've never met, and finding what you didn't know you were looking for. That's what that moment was to me. I had no idea what it was going to be like, and I was trying not to expect much. I figured the children would be shy at first, and that they would gravitate towards the people in the group who were teachers and knew how to act around lots of children (That was basically everyone except me). I was so wrong.
  From the moment we walked in the door, those children loved us, and they loved us all equally.They didn't know who we were or where exactly we had come from, but just by the Orphan Helpers t-shirts  we were wearing we became good people in their minds,  I got so many hugs in those first few minutes that I didn't know what to do with myself. All of the pictures that were taken of me during that first visit show (at least in my mind) how shocked and happy I was. I love those pictures because although I look tired from travelling all day, I look genuinely happy. That says a lot because I rarely like pictures of myself.

     I'm trying to think of a way to make this longer, and I feel like I'm understating that moment again. But that day was such an important day in my life. It's the day I began to let go of the insecurity that had a hold on my life, and it's the day my faith began to become a bigger part of my life. The fact that those children know how to express unconditional love is amazing knowing how difficult their lives have been. I am so thankful that I got to meet them. I have become that person who went on a mission trip and never stops talking about it, and I think I'm okay with that. When something changes your life, it's hard not to talk about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment