Saturday, June 14, 2014

To The Graduates

    One year ago tomorrow,I graduated from high school and it has been one of the best years I can remember. I have changed a lot, and started to figure out who I actually want to be when I'm not trying to be exactly like 400 other people. Today another MHS graduation will take place and a new group of eager graduates will be released into the real world. This inspired me to share some things I have learned since my graduation.

Not everyone is the same. To me, high school seemed to be all about conformity, and it just didn't work for me. When I got to college, I was amazed to see how different everyone was, and how no one seemed to mind. In college it seems that people are more concerned with having fun and getting passing grades than trying keep up with what everyone else is doing, and I really like that.

Learning differently does not mean you are stupid. In high school, it often seemed like it took me forever to understand what I was learning in certain subjects. Teachers taught a certain way, and if I didn't get it then it must mean I "wasn't applying myself" and just needed to "try a little harder". When I started college I started to figure out how I learned best and apply it to my classes. I made tons of flash cards and went to some tutoring, and did a lot of studying. College professors are more approachable than I expected, and most of them seem to really be on the student's side and willing to help however they can, and that has been very helpful.

You don't have to have it all figured out. When I graduated, it seemed like I needed to know exactly what I wanted to do with my life right away, and I really thought I did. But things change, and I realized that I actually wasn't sure of my plans yet, but I also realized I still had time to figure it out. Don't keep on pursuing something you change your mind about just because you think you have to. You don't want to end up with a lifelong career that you aren't happy with, and now is the perfect time to take things slowly and make sure you pick something that will make you happy in the long run.

BFF's are a rare breed.  When you are growing up, there are usually people you think you will be friends with no matter what, but distance is a true test of friendship. People grow apart, and it's a hard thing to deal with. You will probably have to learn the hard way that having the same friends for your entire life is very rare, but you will also find out who really is there for you no matter what, and you will meet new people and form new bonds with them. I have learned that the term "best friend" may not even be a good thing because I have many different friends who benefit my life in different ways, and it seems odd to imply that one of them is the best.

You will be fine.It's okay to be confused and even afraid sometimes, and to worry about how your life is going to turn out. At this time in your life a lot of changes are happening and it can feel like a lot to handle. Just remember how many people have survived this stage of life and turned out just fine, and don't forget to take an occasional break from trying to figure everything out and just enjoy life, because it goes by fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment