Friday, May 2, 2014

10 Things I Learned From My Freshman Year of College

1. Just call all professors "professor". Some people are really obsessed with the letters behind their
names and the titles that go with them, and "professor" is way easier to remember that Dr Her Royal Highness Queen of Higher Education. (Okay so maybe that's a slight exaggeration but they sure do love those titles)

2. Sleep when you can. The whole concept of going to sleep at night and waking up in the morning does not apply to college, and naps are suddenly acceptable again.

3. Go to events that offer free food. When you do all of your own grocery shopping and food preparing, you start to understand how exciting it is to eat food that you didn't have to prepare or pay for.

4. Get out of your dorm. Make sure you actually leave your room at some point and participate in activities. That's how you meet people. Your T.V. will still be there when you get back.

5. That stuff they warned you about is real. I was probably a little more innocent and naive than most people entering in college, which is why it took me a little while to adjust to the fact that all that stuff they teach you not to do in all of those DARE sessions in middle school is actually a reality. Luckily I realized that just because something is available doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'm going to need my internal organs and my sanity for a long time, so I don't want to cause unnecessary damage. (parents and concerned adults,  please erase what you just read from your memory and know that I know how to behave :) )

6. Don't forget to study. Maybe there are some people who can get through college without studying, but I'm not one of them. Few things are more satisfying than passing a test after working really hard to prepare for it

7. People will question you, so be ready. As a college student, I have met people with many different opinions and beliefs, and I have had to learn to be ready to defend my point of view and to listen politely to opinions that I don't necessarily agree with. I am happy that I am learning how to be more outspoken.

8. Don't forget to have fun. Studying is important, but college is one of the only times in life you will get to hang out with your friends pretty much whenever you want, so don't forget to enjoy that.

9. You will be okay, it's not as hard as you think it is. I remember when I first came to college, I was very excited but also had a small secret worry that I would fail at the whole being independent thing. I did just fine.

10. Distance doesn't ruin relationships that are real. 
I have come to realize that real friendships don't go away just because I don't live near my old friends. I still talk to all of my good friends from home, and my friendships with them have continued to grow while I have been making new friends here. Also, I learned that family will always be family, and no matter how I am, my parents will always be my parents, and though I may not always seem thrilled about it, I am glad that I will always be supported and cared for no matter how old I get.



No comments:

Post a Comment