Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Realizing Who I Am

Missionary-a person sent on a religious mission, especially one sent to promote Christianity in a foreign country.

     In the past, when people have referred to me as a missionary after hearing about my trip to Honduras, I have always felt a little unworthy of the title. I have always pictured missionaries as people who go to dangerous places and sleep in tents or huts or something and talk about Jesus all day. When I was in Honduras, I really felt like I was doing more playing than preaching.  In the same way, I always brush it off when people say I am a good writer. I guess it's just part of my personality to be really reluctant to accept compliments. But today has been a day of realization for me, and here's why.
     Today someone told me that I really am a good writer, and something finally clicked in my head. People say that to me frequently, and I always convince myself that they are just being polite. But when it was said to me today, something changed and I realized that it's been said enough times by enough people that maybe I should start to believe it. Maybe I need to realize that acknowledging my talent isn't arrogant, and that I should embrace it and be thankful for it. 
    In a similar way, I finally understood today as I was sitting around the table with my mission team that the term "missionary" can apply to me. I am a person who is preparing to go on a second mission trip, and although I don't really like the wording "promote Christianity" I am trying to share the love of God with people. I have come to understand that sometimes the first step to sharing that love is just to make a connection, and the best way to connect with children is to interact with them and let them know that you care.  I don't have to be walking dangerous streets preaching at everyone I meet to be considered a missionary.

    So I guess the lesson of the day today was that I need to work on acknowledging things 
about myself when people mention them.I guess acknowledging my talents and being proud of the things I feel called to do is not arrogant unless I start to brag about it. I think it's time for me to start learning how to accept compliments and acknowledge who I am becoming. I am a missionary, I am a good writer, and I am learning to be proud of myself. 


Our mission team (minus two members), enjoying dinner after our hard work passing out flyers for our next fundraiser.

Joy and Amy are ready to drive to Honduras right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment