Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Too Much Stuff?

     If there's one thing I've learned from the process of moving out of my dorm, it's that I have a lot of stuff. Getting all of that stuff out of my dorm, and sorting it all out now that it's home, is a long process that isn't too exciting to me. It's time consuming and it takes patience, which is something I don't always have.(Fortunately Mama is way better at handling the moving process than I am, so that helps)  But it has made me think about something I often forget, which is that I have a lot to be grateful for. 
    Honestly, I normally wouldn't stop to think about that, but I'm always trying to think of things to blog about, and since most of the things I blog about are inspired by events in my daily life, I was trying to find and interesting way to talk about moving out of my dorm, and that's what came to mind. I was getting annoyed at the moving out process and just ready for it to be done with, when suddenly I was reminded of something I learned in Honduras, which I seem to have forgotten way too quickly. (Yes I know, you're probably getting a little tired of my random Honduras stories, but there's just so many of them and they seem to always fit so well into what I write.) I remembered how the girls I met there would carry around their possessions with them throughout the day in duffel bags on their backs, because they didn't want to leave things in the rooms where they slept and risk them being gone when they came back. That's hard for me to imagine for two reasons. First, because I don't know what it's like to have to constantly guard all of my possessions. The closest I come to even thinking about that is locking my doors when I leave my dorm, but that's just a precaution. The chances of someone trying to take my things are very small compared to what those girls worry about every day. 
     The second reason it's hard for me to imagine is because the fact that these girls can carry all of their earthly possessions in a bag on their backs shows me how much I really do have. While I'm getting frustrated about all of the stuff I have to pack, unpack, sort and put away, there are many people like those girls who hardly have any possessions at all and can't even imagine having the problem of "too much stuff". 
     Sometimes it seems that the more things you have, the happier you will be, but I have always been taught that that's not true, and the girls in Honduras really proved that point. The amount of possessions I have should not be what determines my happiness. I also need to learn how selfish it is of me to complain about having too much stuff. I need to realize that I have a problem that many people would love to have, and they would be a lot more grateful about it than I have been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment